Because 7th and Lotus is all about becoming a better and healthier you, (mentally and physically) we absolutely have to stay on top of our wellness tips for you guys. Today we want to share why you have to quit drinking soda. We are currently compiling a list of alternatives but for now Katie at Wellness Mama has 10 important reason to just say no to soda. Make sure you visit her blog for all the reasons and subscribe because she can help you become the healthier you, you want to become.
Here are 10 Reason to quite drinking sodas!
- A single can of soda contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar. This amount of sugar, especially in liquid form, skyrockets the blood sugar and causes an insulin reaction in the body. Over time, this can lead to diabetes or insulin resistance, not to mention weight gain and other health problems. Soft drink companies are the largest user of sugar in the country.
- Soda contains phosphoric acid, which interferes with the body’s ability to absorb calcium and can lead to osteoporosis, cavities and bone softening. Phosphoric Acid also interacts with stomach acid, slowing digestion and blocking nutrient absorption.
- In diet sodas, aspartame is used as a substitute for sugar, and can actually be more harmful. It has been linked to almost a hundred different health problems including seizures, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, diabetes, and emotional disorders. It converts to methanol at warm temperatures and methanol breaks down to formaldehyde and formic acid. Diet sodas also increase the risk of metabolic syndrome, which causes belly fat, high blood sugar and raised cholesterol.
- Most sodas contain caffeine, which has been linked to certain cancers, breast lumps, irregular heart beat, high blood pressure, and other problems.
- The water used in soda is just simple tap water and can contain chemicals like chlorine, fluoride and traces of heavy metals.
- Harvard researchers have recently positively linked soft drinks to obesity. The study found that 12 year olds who drank soda were more likely to be obese than those who didn’t, and for each serving of soda consumed daily, the risk of obesity increased 1.6 times. Read more at http://wellnessmama.com/379/reasons-to-avoid-soda/